20160221

DAY 2 Run Ranger Run Bastards.

Hey folks,

Was having some troubles with layout and finally got it right. Lots of progress today which makes me feel better about the deadline approaching very fast Lots of progress pictures in this post. Tomorrow will be a good day for Heat treat and getting to grinding.

I also considered handle material and decided I would use some Green Canvas Micarta for the large blade. Stuff is indestructible and hard as woodpecker lips. The medium size Bastard will get dressed out in a old Louisiana Plantation 2X4 I was gifted. Its about say 120 year old wood that has been fully stabilized which means its not going to swell or move. It will have that very old wood bayonet look very vintage.

I Also got a chance to work on the Ammo crate box my father built from some Oregon Juniper pine. I distressed the wood with a ball pein hammer to give it the character it needs. The companion Bastard Kingfisher  blade is looking sweet and will get wrapped with 550 cord which is near and dear to anybody that served.

SAR cutting profiles



Next did some shaping on the grinder.




Then will drilled holes for screw inserts and counter bored the holes which helps reduce and stress fracture during heat treat, favy for saying they are smooth.



Roughed out and looking ready for the next step. 



The old oak 2x4 I want to use it will be beautiful handle material and will have that been there done that look...in fact it has.


Onto the Ammo crate custom box, and it started like this.



Its looking like this the lid of the box will be laser engraved this year with the Run Ranger Run 2016 logo, it will be nice and I like the distressed look. The stain is just right and it will get many coats of boiled linseed oil hand rubbed to preserve it for generations to come.




First stanza of the Ranger creed repeat after me

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, Fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, Honor and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

RLTW!
SAR

No comments:

Post a Comment